Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Core Practice #2: Listening & Spiritual Contemplation

This past weekend we explored the practice of listening (to God and one another) and contemplation. 'One of the highest forms of prayer is listening' yet we often find ourselves all too ready to lay out the laundry list of needs before God, without taking time to contemplate his beauty and love, and simply listen for his voice. I loved that the 2 people leading, got us to experience this before talking about it. That reinforced the truth that learning and growth happen most through experience rather than intellectual study or discussion.

Here are some of the Scriptures we used to help us begin to focus upon the Lord:-
  • "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me." [John 10:27]
  • "Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!'' [Psalm 46:10]
  • "Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!" [Psalm 27:14]
  • "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me." [Rev 3:20]
(see also John 8:31-38,47)

Here are some of the comments/thoughts that were shared ...
  • will we seek to hear, recognize and follow?
  • do I take time to quiet my soul before the Lord so as to be ready?
  • I sense the Lord calling me back to a regular reading of the Scriptures
  • I want to make sure that I am abiding in Jesus
  • who am I loving, nurturing and growing out of his call to "feed my sheep"?
  • suffering can often preempt our call to kingdom ministry, even helping to define it because this can be the enemy's point of attack (Peter's denial of Jesus and subsequent restoration/invitation to feed/take care of Jesus' sheep)
  • beware the busyness of 'responsibility' (often in our thinking more than reality) that can take us away from being centered/with the Lord
  • do we risk placing productivity above relationship?
  • beware of unrealistic/legalistic expectations when it comes to listening - a time ot take up and a time to 'let go' of the discipline - don't 'beat ourselves up'
  • let us take time to contemplate the truth already revealed so as not to be overcome by the lies of the enemy
  • like a baby, who doesn't always ask to be held, do we trust the Father and his love?
I was encouraged to hear the hearts within our community and get a sense of the Spirit's working among us. In devoting our time to silence, song and sharing we experienced the Lord among us and there was encouragement and strengthening that came from this. It led to some opportunities to speak some words of truth and comfort to one another. It caused me to want to keep building a pattern of this in my life and to help others to do the same. It was powerful, thanks be to God!

"Oh, that men would praise the Lord for His goodness, and for His wonderful works to the children of men" [Psalm 107:3]

The 'Church of Two' (CO2) is a helpful example of how some of this can be put into practice within our communities. Click here for more details.

No comments: